2020 Volunteer One, Get One (VOGO) Program
What is Volunteer One, Get One (VOGO) Program
Volunteer at a race to earn a free race. That’s right RACE FOR FREE. Volunteer One, Get One (VOGO) is a great way for athletes to volunteer at a race and earn a free race (for themselves or someone else) later in the season. The days of volunteering for a t-shirt and a bagel are over. Great volunteers make the race safer and more enjoyable. Volunteer today!
Since 2011, over $250,000 worth of entries have been earned by California Triathlon members (free annual membership).
Benefits of Volunteering
- Get one race free for future events
- Fulfill community service hours
- Help make a triathlon event possible for other athletes
- Make new triathlon friends who are also volunteering
- Experience the excitement of a triathlon without the time-consuming training
- Team up with friends and family to make it a community event.
- Groups larger than 5 can receive charitable donations.
If you’re not competing but would like to participate in some way to help around the event, grab your friends and family and join us in a great community event. Volunteers are needed to assist with setup, packet pickup, finish line, course direction, aid stations along the course and tear down.
The 5 Steps of VOGO - Volunteer One, Get One
- Find An Event. Check-out the California Triathlon calendar for available dates, times and reporting locations. You have to be a California Triathlon member. If not, sign up here. Volunteers must be at least 14 years old.
- Register For An Event. Select the race(s) on the VOGO calendar to volunteer. The $10 fee has been effective at reducing no-shows by people who are casual about their volunteering commitments and is unfortunately necessary to keep the program viable.
- Race Morning Reporting. Volunteers report to the assignment location at the designated time and are checked in by the volunteer leader. Both check-in and check-out are required to earn a free VOGO entry. Please research the venue the day before.
- Getting Notified of Available Free Race Options or charitable donations 3 days after the event, individuals who successfully complete their volunteering assignment will be notified via email of the available free race options. Please make sure your California Triathlon membership information is up to date. Haven’t heard anything in 5 days? Contact [email protected].
- 30 Days To Use It Or Lose It. Athletes have 30 days to choose a race option. They can use the free entry themselves or give it to a friend or family member. Once it is used, it can only be transferred or deferred on the rare occasion the race allows transfers or deferrals.
The cardinal sin is volunteering and then not showing up. It is better to not volunteer in the first place. If a genuine emergency comes up please let [email protected]aTriathlon.org know ASAP. No-show volunteers will be prohibited from volunteering for future races.
|Date||Description||Start Time||End Time||Register|
|10/10/20||Viking Dash Williamsburg||Varies||Varies||Register|
|10/30/20||Cal Tri Events Newport Dunes||Varies||Varies||Register|
|04/25/21||Cal Tri Events Austin||Varies||Varies||Register|
|05/02/21||Cal Tri Events Lake Monticello||Varies||Varies||Register|